Having a pet at your home can be your hobby or necessity. Your pet dog loves to be around you. Sometimes, it can take the place of a friend. However, pet ownership needs a certain amount of time of yours. During that time, you need to take care of your pet in a systematic way, and it includes its health care and maintenance of cleanliness. Among various health issues, dog skin allergies often cause much trouble for your pup. In this article, you will know about some common types of dog skin allergies and related facts.
General types/causes of dog skin allergies
Skin allergies in dogs are mainly of three types:
Flea allergy dermatitis
It is an allergic inflammation. A parasite called flea is the leading cause of this type of allergy. You will find the symptoms in the table below.
It is also known as pets’ food sensitivity or food intolerance. It can cause vomiting, itchy feelings all over the body, ear, and foot soreness, diarrhea, etc.
Pollen and dust work as natural allergens and can cause atopic allergic effects. Nevertheless, it is a seasonal disease and mostly depends on the weather and your house environment. Your dog can suffer from itchy skin during a particular season.
Common symptoms of dog skin allergies
How will you know if your dog has an allergic reaction to anything? Symptoms can differ depending on the causes. Some of the symptoms are as below:
- Tenderness in face, nose, ears, lips or any other parts of the body
- Itchy skin
- Rashes or red skin
- Runny nose and eyes
As soon as you notice some of these signs, take your pet to the Veterinarian.
As I mentioned above, dog skin allergies are of different types. I have discussed some specific skin diseases here for your help. Let us take a quick look at the following table.
|Disease Name||Causes||Symptoms||Possible Treatment|
||– No specific causes|
– Occurs along with several other skin diseases like-mange or any other injuries
|– Sores and bumps on the external part of the skin |
– Scabs or an outer layer on the skin
|– Anti-bacterial ointments|
– Oral antibiotics
– Skin shampoos
– Hormonal imbalance
|– Slippery skin |
– Dandruff on skin
|– The doctor prescribed medicated shampoo|
|Mange Other name/types- Sarcoptic mange, Canine scabies, Demodectic mange||– Parasite (Mites)|| Sarcoptic mange- |
– Red skin
– Severe itching
– Hair loss
– Sores on skin
– Sores Scabbing
– Bald spots
|– As prescribed by the doctor. |
|Impetigo||– Bacteria||– Pus-filled blisters||– Any topical solution|
|Ringworm disease||– Fungus||– Circular patches all over the body especially on paws, ears, head, and forelegs |
– Inflammation and hair loss around the wound
|– Anti-fungal treatment|
|Flea allergy dermatitis||– Insect(Flea)||– Too much licking or scratching |
– Hair loss
– Hot spots and red skin – Blood loss and anemia in severe case
|– Oral flea killer|
Now here are some points that might be of help for you.
- Folliculitis is a bacterial infection. The symptoms of this disease are easy to diagnose in shorthaired dogs. For longhaired dogs, there is a dry coat on the skin. Moreover, it comes off with the rough skin beneath.
- Seborrhea is a genetic disease in dogs. However, most of the time, it may occur due to the causes described above. It is crucial to treat the hormonal abnormalities or any other allergies to prevent symptom recurring.
- Mange can also affect people, but the outcome is not severe. Mites do not survive on human skin and not contagious.
- Puppies from 0-1 year are vulnerable to ringworm disease. Moreover, the infection is contagious and can affect humans and other pets. Among most of the dog skin allergies, it spread in a short time.
Natural remedies for dog skin allergies
It is not enough to just visit your vet and pay for costly antibiotics and solutions. For your lovely puppy, you can choose some home remedies. It will help to prevent and cure skin diseases.
These natural remedies for dog skin allergies may react differently. Do not forget to inform your Veterinarian beforehand.
Yogurt contains good bacteria. Therefore, feeding pure low-fat yogurt will prevent yeast infection and boost the metabolism rate of your dog.
It is an ancient remedy for skin irritation. Give bath to your dog in lukewarm water mixed with baby oatmeal cereal or oatmeal powder. Scrub gently, and it will give your puppy instant skin relief. We would recommend New Anti Itch Oatmeal Spray for Dogs and Cats. It is specially formulated for sensitive skin. It also ensures professional quality. Conversely, depending on the skin types, it may work differently.
Vitamin E oil
Vitamin E oil contains anti-aging properties and antioxidants. You can just collect the oil from E- cap, and massage thoroughly on your dog’s skin. Make sure your puppy is not dirty while applying it. Vitamin E oil also safeguards the skin from harmful UV rays. It will help to continue the outdoor activities.
Epsom salt helps for the natural healing process of inflammation and itchiness. It is more effective if your puppy in on veterinary antibiotics.
Baking soda is famous for its antibacterial properties. Mix baking soda and water in a 1:1 ratio and apply it to the affected covering. Let it dry for 20 minutes and then wash off. It will be useful in case of itchy skin.
Along with these home remedies, you can generally follow some tips. It will help you to prevent dog skin allergies naturally.
- Giving your dog a proper bath can prevent some skin diseases. It not recommended in case of particular allergies. It mainly works to maintain hygiene. ‘Shampoo therapy’ can help to get skin condition better.
- Changing your dog’s food may result in food allergies. Keep track of its food and observe if it shows any symptoms of allergies.
- For itchy skin, there is a combination of inflammation in blood cells and chemical components like histamine and prostaglandins. Simple things like brushing or massaging can be of great help in this aspect. I would like to refer some pet grooming hand gloves. It is easy to petting and massaging your dog at the same time. However, rubbing roughly with these gloves can make the situation worse. So, be gentle with your hands.
Most of the dog skin allergies do not create health emergencies. Nevertheless, once there is any visible change in your dog’s skin, you should diagnose through medical experts. Keep your puppy well updated with the vaccination process. Rather than the prescribed steroids and antibiotics, try natural remedies that suit your dog’s skin. You should be concerned about all the physical conditions of your dog as a pet owner.