Petting is a popular hobby around the globe. People tend to keep pets as it provides them mental satisfaction and bliss that they have a companion. However, it is not an easy task to bring up another living being and take care of its well-being and health. For example, if you own a dog, you need to be mindful of the various disease which it may suffer from. One of many of the dog diseases is the ear mites in dogs. Yes! It is a very common issue faced by dogs. However, you need to dig deeper if you want to treat this condition.
Let us have a look at what the condition is all about:
What is Ear Mites in Dogs?
Ear Mites are the parasitic insects that live on other living beings, especially dogs and cats. Since you can not see the mites with a naked eye, the diagnosis of the infection becomes all the more difficult. Similarly, as they can not survive for long without a host, they are always looking for their next host. It means that it is contagious, and your dog may catch the mites from another infected dog while socializing.
Ear Mites in Dogs Symptoms
Well! When it comes to the symptoms of mites in a dog’s ears, they are also tricky because they are common for many other diseases. For that reason, you need to rule out the chances of other diseases by visiting a vet. It is essential because it will help the vets to figure out the exact procedure. However, the common symptoms are as under:
- Severe itching
- Scratching in ears
- Irritation and consequently, shaking in head
- Dark discharge from the ear
- Lesions in the skin around the ear
Diagnosis of Ear Mites
An otoscope is a scientific invention that helps to see inside the ear of a living organism. When you visit your vet for your dog, they will do a detailed examination inside the ear canal of your dog to check the signs of mites. Besides, they will take the sample of the discharge from the infected ear to examine it under the microscope. In case your dog is getting hyper due to severe itching, the vet may sedate him to calm him down.
Treatment for Ear Mites
Cleaning is the very first step of the treatment of the mites in the dog’s ear. However, if you talk about the treatment, you can opt either for home remedies or medical methods. The best home remedy for ear mites in dogs involves the application of various mineral oil for dog ear mites daily for a month or so. You need to be mindful of the eggs of the mites as they hatch and re-infest in the ears. On the other hand, medical treatment is all about different anti-parasitical medications.
Besides, you have to care about the cleanliness of other belongings of the dog. For example, you need to clean the bedding and utensils your dog uses. It will help you to get rid of the mites.
Let us have a look at the various home remedies and medical solutions available to you.
Natural way to get rid of ear mites in dogs
Since the mites are hard to be observed with a naked eye, you may not even notice their presence. However, you can take some precautionary measures at home, which could avoid serious infections, even if the dog has mites. Cleanliness is the first thing you have to ensure. These are some common remedies if you are wondering what to do for ear mites in dogs.
Oiling is one of the easiest methods to get rid of ear mites. You can use any oil according to convenience and availability. However, some vets suggest using Olive oil or almond. Oil has a natural property of soothing the sores. Besides, oil suffocates the mites inside the ear, which makes them float in the liquid. Then you can simply take out the oil by messaging the outside area of the dog’s ear. Alternatively, you can use a mixture of Garlic and hot water. Yes, Garlic being a natural antiseptic, avoids secondary infections. All you have to do is to mix a teaspoon of crushed Garlic in a cup of hot water and leave it overnight. Strain the Garlic and pour the oil inside the dog’s ear. Repeat the application once daily for a month.
Green Tea Rinse
Alternatively, you can use green tea also. Due to the antiseptic properties of green tea, you can ease down the pain. It becomes easier for you to flush out the mite debris and other dark discharge from the ear. You can prepare the mixture by mixing a tablespoon of green tea and hot water in a cup. Stir the leaves of green tea for 3 to 4 minutes. Then, apply the oil to your dog’s ear after straining the leaves.
Well! If you prefer to go to a vet for your dog’s infection, you are likely to get some antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. The vet may also prescribe an alternative solution, which is the steroid medication. Yes! The steroids soothe the inflammation and itching for your little one.
Whether you are opting for the home remedy or the medical treatment, the procedure is almost the same. However, there is a difference in the application for home remedies. You need to be consistent with the application daily at least for a month. It is because of the eggs get hatched again if there is a gap in-between the applications. The medical treatment, on the other hand, takes a minimum of 3 weeks. You need to visit the vet twice a week. The vet treats both ears at the same time.
Let us have a look at how to kill ear mites in dogs following these steps:
- Get ready for the stains on your clothes when you are going to treat the ear mites in dogs. Yes! As the puppy is already in pain, he tends to shake his head while you try to apply the medication or oil. For that matter, you can wear some old clothes of yours so that you do not have to worry about your clothes getting dirty or stained.
- Keep the essential supplies ready within your arm’s length. For example, the medicine you want to apply, the applicator, some treats for your little one to divert its attention, and a clean piece of cloth. If you are using a commercial product, you will find a squirt bottle with packing. Whereas, if you opted for a home remedy, you could use an eyedropper or even a syringe to pour in the medication. Then, a clean and soft washcloth should be there to clean the area around the dog’s ear afterward.
- If you have a small puppy, you can sit him on a tabletop or counter, while in case of larger dogs, you have to kneel beside him to reach for his ear. Here, if you manage to have a helper, it will be handy to keep your dog still and steady at any one position.
- Now, as you proceed, you have to win the confidence of your little one. Yes! As you can see that he is already in pain, he needs a lot of love and reassurance. You need to ease him down, tell him that he is going to be fine again. Pet him well soothingly to make it easy for him. Give him a hint that it is going to be unpleasant for him for a while, but then everything will be okay again. Then hold the ear flap of your pup firmly to have a clear view of the inside of the ear canal. Keep your grip firm so that he does not move or wiggle.
- When you are treating the ear mites in dogs, you have to clean out the debris first. It will not only make it easy for you to apply the medication, but it will also be more effective. If the ear is still dirty, the mites will have a better chance to hide between the debris.
- Now you have to be extremely careful while pouring in the medication. Yes! Since the ear is one of the most sensitive parts of the living body, it requires extra care. The dog’s ear is L-shaped, which means that the canal travels down straight and then turn towards the central head. All you have to do is to drop the liquid gently into the canal. The medicine will follow the path itself under gravity. If you try to poke something into his ears, it may damage the eardrum. In turn, your lovely dog may lose his hearing.
- Once you have dropped the medicine for the ear mites in dogs, you will gently massage the outside of the ear of your dog. Yes! You might feel the ear to be a bit squishy because the medicine moves inside. As a result of the lubrication, the debris loosens up in there, making it float in the liquid. If your puppy enjoys your rubbing his ear, it means that the sores in his ears are not that bad. The poor thing would lean on to your hands and moans out of enjoyment as he finds it soothing.
- Now you can leave the dog’s ear and let him shake his head. As he will do so, the debris will fly out, making the surrounding area dirty. Here you will clean the rest of your dog’s body with the washcloth. Check if you need to have another round of the medication.
- Well! Your pup might need to have something to eat now. Offer him some treats so that he feels comfortable, and you can go ahead with the other ear.
- Since the poor thing has gone through a lot of pain and then the treatment, he might feel drained and tired. You can make him relax and give him a bath to get all the oils away from his body.
Prevention from the ear mites in Dogs
Well! Talking about prevention, it is a bit tricky. The reason being, these mites are very tiny, and you can not see them as such. However, you have to keep trying. The first thing is the cleanliness indoors. Yes! You do not have much control over the outdoor environment. Still, you can easily take care of the hygiene and cleanliness inside the living space of your little one. The mites get attached to anything and everything they get hold of, including the carpets and the beds where your dog moves around. You have to be even more careful, especially when your dog already has a history of catching mites and has gone through the treatment.
Another way of prevention comes in the form of flea treatments. Yes! You can have information about the normal course of action about the flea treatment dosages from your pet’s vet. They usually conduct the flea treatment sessions periodically to ensure that all the animals are safe in the area.
Now you are well-aware of the condition, symptoms, causes, and treatments of mites found in the ears of your dog, you can properly take care of your pet. All you have to do is to make sure that your dog does not catch the mites. But if it gets them by any chance, you know the drill. You can have a better life with a healthy pet and enjoy with him to the utmost. A healthy pet is a lovely companion with whom you can share the happiest moments of your life. So, forget about everything and live your life to the maximum with the love of your life.